Sports

2013 US Open of Surfing Winners Crowned

Muniz and Moore win 2013 US Open

(Source: V. Jay Tabula)
USPA NEWS - After nine days of surfing, two surfers emerge victorious winning the 2013 Vans US Open of Surfing. On the men's division, Brazilian, Alejo Muniz defeated American and local Kolohe Andino. On the women's division, Hawaiin, Carissa Moore defeated American local favorite Courtney Conlogue.
July 20-28, Huntington Beach, California is once again the host city to the 2013 Vans US Open of Surfing. The annual event brings the top ranked surfers in the world to compete. Along side the surfing contest, skateboarders and BMX riders competed in the inaugural Van Doren Invitational. The event also hosted the biggest free two-night concert featuring Modest Mouse, The Faint, Twin Shadow, Matt Costa, and FMLYBND.
ASP Prime and World Championship Tour
Out of only eight Prime rated events globally, Huntington Beach will be the only stop in North America for 2013, drawing 96 of the world's best men's surfers to compete for the crucial ranking points. Emerging out of the field for this years finals were Brazilian Alejo Muniz versus American Kolohe Andino. Andino took a quick early lead in the finals but on Muniz's first wave, he scored an 8.43. Muniz later added a 7.80 scoring wave to seal up his victory.
Alejo Muniz
Source: V. Jay Tabula
"I'm so happy, I can't believe it," Muniz said. "Today marks the four year anniversary of my grandfather's passing and I'd like to dedicate this win to him. This is the biggest win of my career and it's the biggest crowd I've ever surfed in front of. I knew I had to get scores and the waves were dying a little bit with the high tide and ocean really cooperated with me today." Muniz came in to the US Open ranked no. 24. With his victory today, Muniz jumps to no. 15 in the rankings.
The women's final featured Hawaiian Carissa Moore versus the local favorite Courtney Conlogue. Moore was victorious over Conlogue to become the US Open champion and new no. 1 in the World Championship Tour rankings. The women's final brought a dramatic finish to the packed crowd. A late surge and a great last wave by Conlogue had her needing a 8.23 to take the win. But Conlogue fell just short only scoring a 7.77 to give Moore the win by only 0.73 points.
Carissa Moore
Source: V. Jay Tabula
"To be honest I'm a little shocked right now because I thought Courtney won when the crowd erupted on that last wave," Moore said. "I let her go and I had priority and it was a bad decision, but I'm stoked that it worked out in my favor. I was happy to be in the final and Courtney's in the title race and I had fun, but I was definitely nervous at the end of that heat. It's such an honor to win this event in front of this big crowd, I feel amazing!"
Liability for this article lies with the author, who also holds the copyright. Editorial content from USPA may be quoted on other websites as long as the quote comprises no more than 5% of the entire text, is marked as such and the source is named (via hyperlink).